Three Hawaii CUs among "Best Places to Work"

on "March 21, 2019 12:09 pm"

Three Hawaii credit unions made the list of Hawaii Business Magazine’s Best Places to Work list. Each credit union went through a process that included employee surveys and reviews by national experts.

On this years list:

Hawaii State FCU
An annual wellness fair, flu shots, and an on-site fitness center promote a healthy staff. The Learning and Development Department offers regular in-house training on topics such as emotional intelligence and sales and leadership strategies. Exemplary employees can win quarterly and yearly “Red Pants” awards. Medical, dental, vision and long-term care premiums are 100 percent covered for employees and 50 percent for dependents.

Aloha Pacific FCU
Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short-term disability premiums are 100 percent covered. This company gives back to the community by supporting the Kapiolani Children’s Miracle Network, the Honolulu City Lights celebration, and high school financial fairs. Employees are given flexible schedules and 12 paid holidays per year.

Pearl Hawaii FCU
A social events budget is used for regular activities, games, and contests. Paid social events include a meal and alcoholic beverages. Dental, medical and vision premiums are covered 100 percent for employees and 75 percent for dependents. Employees receive recognition for attendance, referrals, and longevity.

Businesses of all sizes in the state follow a selection process by the Best Companies Group. These national experts vet nominated companies for Hawaii Business Magazine and over 60 similar programs across the country and internationally.

A confidential survey is conducted of employees that measure satisfaction and engagement in eight categories. Because the survey is confidential, employees are honest and forthcoming: They reveal the good, the bad and the ugly about the organizations they work for.

The results of those surveys account for 75 percent of a company’s score. The other 25 percent of the score is based on the employer questionnaire filled out by the company’s HR managers that detail benefits, workplace rules, and other factors.

Peter Burke, president at Best Companies Group, says this year’s 70 winners have employees whose level of “emotional connection” to their employer is extremely high. That means that on average those employees:

  • Plan to stay with the organization at least two more years, which reduces turnover and ensures stability.
  • Are willing to recommend their workplace to a friend or relative.
  • Are willing to recommend the company’s products and services to a friend.
  • Are willing to make an extra effort to help the organization succeed.
  • Look forward to going to work most days, which means enthusiasm and effort on the job.
  • Believe their jobs provide meaning and purpose.
  • Are proud to work for the organization.
  • Feel the organization has created an environment where employees can do their best work.